I know what you’re thinking.
What in the world? Has this girl bumped her head?
Please, allow me to explain…
Remember last night’s dinner inspiration ala whole foods sampling man?
Dinner REALLY hit the spot last night…
So much so that, when I woke up this morning, it was all I could think about.
Hmm, so how exactly do you incorporate a pasta sauce into a Pancake Sunday celebration?
Spinach Lasagna Pancakes: (serves 1)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated (or finely minced) onion
- 1 whole egg
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ~ 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (I processed mine in my Magic Bullet to make it creamy)
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
1. Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine flour and spices in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. Whisk together egg and onion and set aside.
4. Combine spinach, basil, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water in a blender 0r Magic Bullet and process until thin.
5. Add spinach “juice” to egg and onion mixture and stir to combine.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, adding just enough water to thin batter as needed (I used about 1/8 cup).
7. Ladle batter into skillet (I made 2 medium-sized cakes) and allow to cook approximately 3-5 minutes per side.
8. Top/layer cakes with cottage cheese (or ricotta) and prepared marinara.
So going to be my dinner tonight! 😉
What’s your favorite Italian dish?
I’m a total sucker for manicotti…or really anything with a super creamy cheesy sauce/filling!