Back in the day, when I just was a wee little lass…
What the heck, three days into March and I’m already talking like a leprechaun?!
Anywho!…Each week, I donned a little brown uniform, complete with a skirt, vest, and a sash FULL of patches painstakingly sewn on by my mother.
I was a “Brownie”
Along with my fellow scouts, I did my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring…
Until it came time to earn that badge for cookie-selling.
Then, all bets were off!
The troop masters were sure to teach us well.
Stare them down
Politely introduce yourself.
Reel them in with those sad puppy dog eyes
Tell them about our mission to do good.
Prey on their weakness for sugary delights
Ask them if they’d like to contribute to our cause.
Little did I know that those deeds would come back to haunt me in my adult years….ha, and some people don’t believe in karma!
Every year, it’s the same story. I come out of the grocery store and get totally blind-sighted. It’s almost like she knows, but I can’t do it, I can’t let her get to me…because while some of you may be able to practice restraint around such sugary treats, over the years, I seem to have developed a little problem…
And well, as much as I’d LOVE to stand there and convince myself that my favorite green box of
crack goodness is calorie free and that a serving size is an entire SLEEVE, it is most definitely NOT!
Pop Quiz: Who knows the ACTUAL serving size on a box of Thin Mints?
Four…count them…1, 2, 3, FOUR?!?! 😯
Ok, so why don’t we take a quick look at the nutrition label on those four little, and I do mean LITTLE, cookies?
So this year, I decided to make amends…
To right myself with the cookie gods…
Ok, I’m lying…I really just wanted an excuse to slather something else in
Healthy Chocolate Sauce. 😉
Thick, fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth, not exactly* laced with crack
*Disclaimer: Not responsible for healthy chocolate sauce addiction. If you are interested in a twelve step program to end your affliction, see…someone ELSE! 😆
But you wanna know the BEST part?
These are for EVERYONE! 😀
Thin Mint Cookie Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Keywords: fry breakfast high fiber high protein GLUTEN-FREE GRAIN-FREE VEGAN vegetarian buckwheat flour cocoa powder Pancake Sunday
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour, ground from groats
- 3 Tablespoons (30g) hemp protein powder (optional)*
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 5-7 drops liquid vanilla stevia (I used NuNaturals)
*If omitting, reduce almond milk to 1/3 and vinegar to 1 teaspoon.
1. Preheat a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine almond milk and vinegar and allow to set for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, baking powder, and xanthan gum, stir with a wire whisk.
4. To the almond milk/vinegar mixture, add applesauce, mint extract, and stevia and stir well.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
6. Spoon batter onto skillet, forming FIVE medium-sized pancakes, and cook for 4-5 minutes per side (batter will not bubble).
7. Plate and top with several servings of Healthy Chocolate Sauce! 😉
**Edited to add: Any protein powder would work for this so long as it weighs the same. And for those of you out there who AREN’T gluten-challenged, oat flour would be PERFECT (it has the same fluffiness that fresh buckwheat flour has)!
Gluten-free, grain-free, and VEGAN!
HA! I’d like to see those girls produce a box of cookies with THESE kind of stats…and you get FIVE of my “cookies”! 😉
What is YOUR favorite Girl Scout cookie?