Hey folks! I hope everyone is enjoying a nice warm evening! I believe it would take a lot for me to go outside for this:
After coming in from the cold tonight, I really needed some warming up. Well, what better way to do that than with a spicy Indian dish?
Indian-Spiced Acorn Squash & Lentils
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Keywords: roast saute entree high fiber lentils Indian
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 2 cups of water
- 1 medium acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on spice preference)
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Slice acorn squash in half vertically (stem to butt) and place on baking sheet flesh side up.
3. Allow to cook 25-30 minutes or until fork-tender.
4. Meanwhile, combine lentils and water in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
5. Partially cover pot with lid and cook for 15-20 minutes.
6. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat.
7. Add oil, onion and garlic and saute until tender (3-5 minutes).
8. Whisk tomato paste, water, and spices together in a small bowl and then add to skillet with onions and garlic.
9. Remove squash from oven, peel and chop and then add to skillet.
10. Drain any excess water from cooked lentils and then add to skillet.
11. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop, adjust seasoning if necessary.
12. Serve plain or with a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt on top.
It looks like a lot of steps, but I promise it comes together quickly after the lentils and squash are done! While I was waiting, I stirred up this super quick creamy cucumber salad for a side:
Indian Cucumber Salad:
1 seedless cucumber, chopped 1/2 cup yogurt
a squeeze of lemon juice
a dash ground cumin
I don’t really like spicy dishes, but I thought this blend was spot on! Just enough heat to loosen up your sinuses with so much flavor! So glad I made enough for lunch tomorrow!
Now I’m off to go curl up in my bed topped with it’s glorious heated mattress pad! One of the best investments I’ve ever made! Stay warm out there! 🙂