Have you ever had one of those days where you just can’t seem to get ahead…everything seems to go the opposite of how you want it and it takes literally FOREVER for the day to end? Well, that is how my day went today. My 8 hour shift today felt more like 18 hours! Sometimes I have days like this and can take it in stride..today, it took everything in me to just make it to 3:00p.
When I got home, I really just wanted to crawl into bed and sleep for the rest of the night, but as I started to relax and unwind a bit, I realized what I really needed was some foodie comfort for my hungry belly.
This definitely hit the spot and soothed my worn out mind and body.
Warm Apple Crumble with PB Sauce:
- 1 medium-sized apple, cored and diced
- 1-2 tablespoons granola
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
1. Place diced apples in a pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom, sprinkle with cinnamon, cover and steam for about 8 minutes or until apples are tender.
2. Pour cinnamon apples into a bowl and top with granola.
3. Mix equal parts of peanut flour and water and whisk until smooth. Pour over apples and granola.
4. Let the warm, crunchy, melty goodness ease away the stress of the day.
After this “Good for the Soul Bowl” and a little Dexter eye-candy (I am currently catching myself up on Dexter via Netflix live-streaming), I was feeling a little better.
Rather than stay on the couch and hold on to the day’s troubles, I decided (with a big mental “push” to just get up, change, and take out the rest of my frustrations on a workout for Team HEAB. Not sure if I took out the frustrations of my day or if Lindsey took out her frustrations on me, but after a good 30 minute sweat sesh, I was finally feeling like my normal self again.
Earlier today, I came across 3 little words that instantly made my mouth begin to water…Buffalo Chicken Wontons! It seems Liz over at Blog is the New Black just happened to know I had a package of wonton wrappers that
were expired desperately needed to be used and could use a bit of inspiration. Being that I did not have any wing sauce-or any hot sauce for that matter…how did THAT happen?-I had to do a little thinking. Luckily, I after clearing my head with an awesome workout, an idea came to me rather quickly. Remember the Vidalia Onion Fig Sauce I found at Whole Foods over the weekend? Well, it made its debut tonight!
Sauce-say Chicken Pockets: (makes 10 little pockets)
- 3 ounces cooked diced chicken
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Vidalia Onion Fig Sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 10 pre-packaged wonton wrappers
1. Combine diced chicken, red onion, orange zest, sauce, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Spoon mixture onto prepared wontons, dividing evenly.
3. Divide cheese and top chicken mixture.
4. Tuck chicken and cheese mixture into wonton wrapper and seal by wetting your finger in a little water and wiping across outer edge of wrapper. Squeeze to seal.
5. Place sealed wontons on a greased baking sheet. Spray the tops of the wontons with more cooking spray.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until nicely browned.
The great thing about these is the versatility! You could use just about any cheese/sauce combination out there and they would be fantastic! And who out there doesn’t like food in the shape of little “present” pockets? You could make them as an appetizer, or you could do like me and make dinner out of them!
Who had a bad day? Me? No way!
How was your hump day? What is your best way to unwind after a stressful day?