Halo peeps! I’m back! As in I am back to my broccoli loving, spinach eating, nut butter fantasizing, normal self! Ahhh, feels so good…it’s like when Austin Powers got his mojo back! Yes, we have the same last name…no we’re not related! C’mon, he’s a fictional character, duh!
I was hoping that the first day back with my “mojo” would have something spectacular happen so I could tell you guys all about it, but sadly it was just an ordinary day at the hospi!
So as not to leave you high and dry tonight, I’d like to share with you guys my latest award, given to me by the cookie making queen Nicole of Cookies & Carrots!
1. Link the person who awarded you.
2. Post 7 random facts about yourself.
3. Pass the award on to 7 other bloggers.
I know I’ve technically already done a “7 random facts” post, but who cares! Plus, I know how much I love learning more about my favorite blogger friends so hopefully this will entertain you guys too!
1. When I entered college, I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do. I claimed an undecided major until the end of my sophomore year, when I started feeling the pressure to make a decision. I realized at this point that if I didn’t figure it out soon, I was going to have to be in school longer than 4 years…yeah, not cool! So, I flipped through my college’s book of majors/minors and saw x-ray. I thought, “How hard could it be to can take pictures of people’s bones! I could do that!” Long story short, it is much more involved but it was the BEST lazy girl decision I’ve ever made! I love my job!
2. Right after high school and all throughout college, I had a job at GNC (General Nutrition Centers). Working there 1.) helped me pay for college without having to take out more than one student loan and 2.) basically formed my passion for healthy living and eating.
3. I got my first job when I was 15 years old. I worked at a mom & pop sort of diner as a waitress for 2 bucks an hour + tips. I was also in charge of making pizzas and ice cream treats and I always ate for free!
4. I was in no way a healthy eater growing up. I didn’t know the first thing about nutrition and subsisted off pop-tarts, pizza, and my all time favorite adolescent snack: chips and salsa.
5. My snack love was so great that one year for Christmas my mom and dad got me a jumbo size bag of chips and multiple jars of salsa as one of my gifts!
6. I was in the drama club in high school and once played Daphne in a recreation of a Fraiser episode. Oh yeah, I’ve got that fake British accent goin on!
7. I grew up in one of those small towns where the high school homecoming game is a city-wide affair. When they first brought a Taco Bell/KFC to my hometown, the police department had to direct traffic for weeks!
Ok, so there you have it! Some random facts about moi! Hope you liked! And now for the 7 lucky winners:
1. Marie of The Quarter Life Quandry
2. Matt of The Athlete’s Plate
3. Kate of What Kate is Cooking
4. Emilia of Namaste Gurl
5. Lee of In My Tummy…and On My Mind
6. Chelsea of Clean Eating Chelsea
7. Katie of Chocolate Covered Katie
Oh, don’t worry, I would leave you without any foodie pics to drool over…scroll down!
Whole wheat English muffin with TJ’s Valencia PB and cinnamon on one side, 2% cottage cheese and honey on the other side.
Slap ’em together and what have you got? A freaking amazing sandwich that’s what! Special thanks to Caitlin over at The Permanent Life for the idea!
This sammie was enjoyed this morning alongside a HUGE green smoothie in a bowl.
Clean-Out-the-Freezer Smoothie in a Bowl: (serves 1)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 BIG handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1/2 a frozen banana
- 1 frozen mandarin orange
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- splash of vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (the KEY to making your smoothie spoonable!)
Combine all ingredients in a blender (or push your little Magic Bullet to its limits like I did) and blend, blend, blend! I also topped mine with a little handful of Kashi Go Lean for a little crunch!
I have to say that until reading through all of your comments from yesterday’s post, I had no idea what in the world I was going to make for dinner! So this is for all my quesadilla lovers out there! Thanks for the inspiration!
Chipotle Bean & Cheese Quesadilla: (serves 2)
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle Seasoning
- 1 chipotle pepper from a can, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned peppers
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar
- cilantro to taste
1. Saute onions in a small skillet until translucent.
2. Stir diced pepper, adobo sauce, and seasoning into refried beans.
3. Layer tortilla with beans, sauteed onions, cheese, and cilantro.
4. Top with other tortilla and grill (I used my grill pan on the stove-top) until warmed through and tortilla gets signature grill marks.
All layered up and ready for the grill!
Serve with your favorite salsa and/or guacamole!
Hope that was enough to rile up your taste buds! 😉 See ya back here tomorrow for What I Ate Wednesday!
What is one random fact about you? I love learning things about you guys…entertain me!
One fact about me is that I had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in my right knee when I was younger. They had to stick needles in my knee twice to get the excess liquid out (sorry for the visual). I’m in remission and it hasn’t bother me in the very least for years now! 😀
I wish I could work at a GNC!! It sounds SO much fun!!! 😀
Yeee-ouch! That sounds pretty painful! So glad it’s not something you still have to deal with!
Best sandwich ever no?! So glad you liked it! Random fact about me- When I was in high school I was a HUGE theatre nerd to the point where when I was looking for a college I picked one with a good directing program…. I’m a health and society major.
Oh my goodness, too funny! And yes, best sandwich EVAH!
Dinner looks fabulous! As does your little breakfast sammie!
Hmm…Church camp is my absolute favorite place to be!
That’s great Carlee! And thank you!
Yay thanks for the tag!
its funny how so many of us rarely grow up in eating healthy. I was a pop tart fan too, hehe. Glad I was a nutrition major in college!
ahh your english muffin looks BANGIN! and aha i cant believe you were in a play with a brit accent! i would LOVE to hear that 😛
random fact: I wear high-tech earplugs when i sleep haahha… I T NEEDS TO BE SILENT
Nice! I’m kind of the opposite. I always sleep with a sound machine (it’s part of my alarm clock) or a fan! Gotta have a little bit of noise!
I love learning random things about other bloggers. I also had no idea what I wanted to do. I changed my major three times in college!
I’ll fill mine out later tonight.
I love the look of grill marks! Not the taste (i’m a weirdo!) but the look makes me think whatever i’m about to bite into is hot and delish! haha
I used to be in drama in HS and I may have lived off of pop tarts in middle school… and doritos. I want to go back in time and slap myself! whoops! We’re making up for it now =) haha
Oh yeah, I’m pretty sure I dominated a few bags of Doritos in my day as well!
So you like to look at grill marks, but you don’t like the burnt taste they have? I love it…especially on grilled chicken! Mmm!
Yum quesadillas are my favorite mexican food! 😀 Hmm one random fact is that I’ve been a piano player for about 14 years 🙂
Impressive! I wish I could play the piano! I have super long fingers and everybody always asks me if I play, but sadly I’m only skilled enough for “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”! 🙁
Haha! I love the story behind how you picked your career! Good stuff 🙂
Oooh love quesadillas!
That the most juicy and delicious lookin’ combo for an English muffin, I’ve ever seen. And that grilled quesadilla- yum!
Fun facts about you! I grew up in a SMALL town too. They just got an Applebee’s like 4 years ago. And the local hang-out in high school was the ONE place that stayed open 24 hrs- Carl’s Junior. Ew. lol
Haha! Our local hangout was a 50’s themed diner that just recently got torn down. There was a memorial type service and everything…like it had it’s own little funeral! 🙁
I love the smell of A&D diaper rash ointment. How’s that for random? 😉
girl…you have some amazing looking food! i’m hooked!
Thank you Maria!
Random fact…hmm, I’m scared of the dark. Too many horror movies growing up.
Cracking up at the Taco Bell/KFC excitement. 😉
I want that English Muffin – looks much better than a Pop-Tart if you ask me, and I did some major damage to some Pop-Tarts back in the day.
Awww, do you sleep with a night-light and claim it’s for Summer?? Teehee!
Yes, maaaaajor pop-tart damage!
Yay, thanks for tagging me! I am cracking up at number five- my parents got me Nutella one year for Christmas, so I totally appreciate food as gifts 🙂 Also, please let me move in with you so you can make me that quesadilla every single day. My brother just ate the last of my cheddar and I can’t have any quesadillas until I get more!!
Noooo! You should make HIM go get more cheese! That is just cruel!
And I would so rather move in with you in Cali! Just warm it up a bit more before I buy my plane ticket! 😉
Fact About Me:
I decided in third grade I wanted to be a teacher. I love everything about my teachers. How they believed in me, how they made wearing heals and dresses look easy, how nice they smelled, and how they all wore the same shade of lipstick. In junior high, I thought about broadcasting, and in high school accounting or marketing.
I wasn’t quite sure of my major when I applied for college, so I just checked elementary education. Although at times it’s been stressful, and really really hard, I couldn’t imagine doing anything else!
That’s awesome! It is teachers like you who make the most differences in the children today! Props to ya (I know I could never do it myself)!
My first job was at a restaurant too. Best job ever to date!
I loved reading the 7 random facts about you. Can I tell you how lovely your meals look.
Of course you can! And thank you so much!
Pingback: And So It Begins… | kissmybroccoli
Pingback: Random Bits from the Broccoli Stalk | kissmybroccoli