Good morning and happy Pancake Sunday! I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend! It started storming here a couple of hours ago so it looks like my day is going to be filled with the excitement of housework and food prep for the week.
Speaking of food prep, I know EXACTLY what my breakfast is going to be in the morning!
I’ve been drooling over Elise’s Chai Chia Oatmeal Pudding since I saw it on her blog the other day! Doesn’t it look absolutely delicious?! I think I might actually have been dreaming about it last night because when I woke up this morning all I could think of was chai tea!
Luckily, I happened to have some Yogi Chai Black that I found on sale a few weeks ago and I decided this morning would be the perfect time to crack it open and put it the (taste) test in a recipe!
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chai tea steeped in water
- 1/8 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Whisk together the tea, milk, applesauce, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
5. Spoon batter onto hot skillet surface (makes 3 small-medium pancakes) and cook for approximately 4-6 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Top your cakes with unsweetened shredded coconut and cinnamon spiked maple syrup (1/4 teaspoon cinnamon added to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup) and enjoy!
This was actually the first time I’ve ever created a tea-infused recipe and I think the addition of the sweet/spicy taste of the chai tea made for the perfect companion to the subtle coconut flavor!
Well, I’m off to do laundry and make up a big batch of something for the week. “See” you guys tomorrow!