Hello my favorite foodies! Can I get a T.G.I.F up in here?!
With my super early work schedule this week and meetings for various things involving the new Casa de Broccoli, I have to say this week has really flown by! Did it go by quickly for you? Any exciting plans for this weekend?
Move Day is officially two weeks away (eek!), so I guess now would be a good time to start packing, huh? I actually don’t mind packing…it can be somewhat therapeutic, if you will, especially with the right tunes to get your booty shaking. C’mon, don’t tell me you’ve never used a tape gun as a microphone!
Though, I will say:
PACKING > UNPACKING!
I don’t know what it is, but I hate unpacking boxes and trying to figure out where everything goes! It seems like it takes me forever! Am I alone on this one?
This morning…or I guess I should say last night…I practiced some packing skills on a waning jar of MaraNatha dark chocolate almond butter for some OOIAJ (overnight oats in a jar)!
What’s in the Jar:
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- about 1 1/2 tablespoons dark chocolate almond butter leftover in jar
This jar was PACKED full! All of the mix didn’t actually fit in the jar, so I had a couple of spoonfuls as a breakfast “appetizer”!
After breakfast, my belly was the one that was PACKED full! I didn’t get hungry again for almost 5 hours…I swear overnight oats fill me up more so than cooked ones!
When I got home from work today, I went straight home (first time all week that’s happened). And guess what! The sun was out! There hasn’t been anything but gray skies around here in over a week! Needless to say, I took the opportunity to soak up some good ol’ vitamin D and went for a light jog around the neighborhood which I followed by a leg workout that took me a few minutes to throw together. It actually kicked my butt pretty good…like seriously, my butt is going to be crying tomorrow!
Dinner tonight wasn’t necessary intended to be breakfasty, but for some reason, I cannot resist the urge to grab the cinnamon any time pumpkin is involved!
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (cook according to package instructions)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1 oz walnuts, toasted*
1. After the quinoa has cooked, stir in pumpkin puree, almond milk, and cinnamon.
2. Cook over medium heat until thickened a bit and heated through.
3. Stir in raisins, apples, and walnuts.
* To toast walnuts: Place in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring or shaking constantly for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Toasting nuts brings out a deeper more concentrated flavor.
I know, I know, it’s almost Spring and I’m posting a Fall-type recipe, but I just couldn’t help but think of falling leaves and cool breezes while savoring this creamy bowl of goodness! The contrast of the warm pumpkin mixture with the cool crunch of the apples and the toasty walnuts was absolutely perfect!
Well, I’m off here…gotta rest up before my “performance” tomorrow!