I hope you all survived the weekend…seriously…have you seen all the storms happening around the country? I’m not one for snow, but c’mon Mother Nature! Tornados in the middle of January?! You’re sense of humor sucks!
We had some pretty high winds resulting in fallen trees and down power lines, but I’m happy to report all in Casa de Broccoli are alive and counted for…though if Tiger does NOT stop trying to eat my newest house plant, we might be down a family member 😉
So Friday night, I decided to whip up a little something different for BB and I for dinner. While thinking of what to make, I spied in the freezer the pound of frozen ground lamb I picked up waaaaaaaay back when the farmer’s market was still going on. Remember when I said I was going to make some Greek-style burgers? Don’t worry…I don’t blame you if you don’t…I can’t even find the post! But anyways…
I FINALLY did it!
Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki: (serves 4)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 egg
- 2 handfuls chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1. Preheat your indoor or outdoor grill to medium heat (I used a grill pan skillet).
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and (now’s not the time to get girly) roll up your sleeves, and dig your fingers in.
3. Work ingredients together until well combined and then pat out evenly into 4 large patties.
4. Rub grill down with a napkin soaked in olive oil to prevent the burgers from sticking.
5. Cook approximately 6-7 minutes per side or until browned and grill marks appear.
6. Serve on a whole wheat bun with homemade tzatziki sauce (recipe follows) and red onion slices.
Greek Yogurt Tzatziki Sauce: (serves 4)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 medium-sized cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Serve atop Greek Lamb Burgers.
I could not help but be impressed with the way these burgers turned out! The combination of the spinach, feta, and lean ground lamb was already a winner, but the homemade tzatziki sent it over the top!
Warm grilled lamb with tangy feta, cool drippy sauce, and the nice crispness of sliced red onion…better known as heaven on a plate!
I had the last one for lunch today and it was just as good as the night I first made them! I seriously cannot wait to do more experimenting with ground lamb in the future…such a great flavor!
Have you ever eaten lamb or what is your favorite Greek dish?
Any of you get any crazy storms over the weekend?