Happy Pancake Sunday!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know…it’s ABOUT TIME, huh?
Now that we’re a whole month into 2012, I figured it would be a good time to bring back the weekly celebration I love so much. I’d like to say that I’ve still been pancake flippin’ each and every Sunday, but sadly, pancakes have fallen to the wayside lately.
Since I’ve succumbed to weekend laziness over the last several weeks, I’ve been happy to sit back and let BB take charge of the kitchen and even some days, just enjoying a simple bowl of cereal…
But I have to tell you, the pancake-loving runs deep within me and I knew it wouldn’t be long before I got that itch to get back to flippin’.
Just the other day, I started envisioning warm fluffy SAVORY pancakes. My mind went in several different directions with this, so lucky for you I’ve already got some ideas for future Pancake Sundays, but I finally settled on the last one I thought of before drifting off to sleep last night…
A sweet AND savory pancake:
With brown sugar and bacon!
It’s ok…you can do a little happy dance…I know I did! 😉
Brown Sugar Bacon Pancakes
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder*
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons bacon grease
1. Preheat skillet to medium-high heat and fry bacon until crispy on both sides. Remove from pan and blot with paper towels to remove excess grease. Crumble into bite-sized pieces. Drain grease from skillet and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, leavening agents, buttermilk powder, and pepper (if using).
3. In a separate bowl, add egg, brown sugar, water, and bacon grease and whisk well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5.Fold in the crumbled bacon.
6. Pour batter into skillet over medium heat (be sure to coat pan with cooking spray if you don’t have residual bacon grease left in it) and cook pancakes approximately 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
7.Serve with pure maple syrup or go restaurant style like me and cook up some sunny eggs for dipping!
*I used the equivalent to 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp of buttermilk, but since I rarely ever cook with buttermilk and don’t want it to spoil, I typically buy the dry version from the baking section at that grocery store…makes things a little easier!
Can I also get a little happy dance for my very first RECIpage recipe? Big thanks to Christin for letting me know about the now FREE service that will eventually house AND organize all of my proudest recipes!
I cannot even BEGIN to tell you how heavenly the kitchen smelled while these babies were frying up. My mouth was watering from the moment the bacon hit the hot surface of the griddle!
And just a hunch…not like I would REALLY know…but I bet the batter taste like cake batter with bacon sprinkles…
But like I said…that’s just a hunch! 😉
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but from the very first bite, I knew these were going straight to the top of all my pancake recipes…right next to the Pumpkin Bread Pudding and Banana S’mores pancakes!
Oh yeah, they are THAT good!
So what are you waiting for? All you carnivores out there need to quit reading and go make some pancakes!
What did YOU have for breakfast this morning?