Happy Pancake Sunday!
Before I get into today’s mango lovin’ pancake recipe, I fear there is need for a PSA regarding my last post…
It has been brought to my attention that some of you could be allergic to the skin of the mango if you have an allergy to poison ivy/oak/sumac…
Emphasis on the “some” and “if” because I am actually VERY allergic to poison ivy myself, but have had no problem whatsoever with the mango peel. After doing a bit of research, it looks as if most people just experience mild contact dermatitis (slight rash to the face and mouth and sometimes the hands), but can worsen in some. If you remember, I’ve had a similar reaction to strawberries.
Just wanted to make everyone aware of this…so you know, you can sue me for developing a breakout hours before a hot date!
So make sure you wash the outside of the fruit well before slicing…and when in doubt, leave it out (the peel that is)!
Now that that little bit of business has been attended to…
Onto some pancakes!
Just like Friday’s chicken salad…it’s like a trip to the beach…only NOW you can vacation during BREAKFAST!
One of my favorite things about blogging is being able to share delicious recipes with you guys and I absolutely hate it when someone can’t enjoy something I’ve posted. That’s actually one of the reasons I play around with a lot of gluten-free/vegan/vegetarian substitutions…well that and the fact that I’m easily amused and STILL to this day can’t get over the fact that ground flax can replace an egg!
So…with that little preface, let me get to my point.
I know I’ve been throwing coconut flour around all willy nilly for months now, but I KNOW there are some of you out there who don’t have access to it, so I created this recipe to finally satisfy EVERYONE’S coconut craving!
Coconut Almond Pancakes with Mango
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12
Keywords: fry breakfast high protein high fiber vegetarian coconut coconut milk almond extract protein powder Pancake Sunday summer
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (approx. 15g)
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk (in carton)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- additional sweetener as desired
1. Pre-heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder, and ginger and stir with whisk or fork.
3. Add almond milk and extract (and sweetener if using) and stir until just combined.
4. Stir in coconut being careful not to overstir.
5. Spoon batter onto skillet forming two medium-sized pancakes.
6. Cook approximately 6-7 minutes per side or until golden brown.
7. Layer with Greek yogurt or whipped cottage cheese and top with fresh cut mango (peeled OR un-peeled)
Nutrition facts for one serving PRE-toppings
If you don’t have protein powder, well, then I don’t know WHAT to do with you…seriously though, you can always omit it and just bump up the amount of flour, but I gotta say I LOVED the flavor just a half a scoop did for these cakes…
I swear, it was like eating coconut COOKIES!
Do you have any food allergies?
I only have trouble with strawberries every once in a while, but I can’t eat kiwi at all! Remember how I said the reaction can worsen in some people? Yeah, the last time I ate kiwi, my throat swelled and it got a little hard to breath! :O