I believe some apologies are in order…
I’m sorry for teasing you guys with my vacation recap yesterday AND pretending to join in on a non-existent link up. 😯
In my defense, I didn’t get a nap before work, it was my first day back, I had been awake since 8am Sunday morning, I forgot it was a holiday, and wait, did I mention that was running on absolutely NO sleep?!
I’m sorry I haven’t responded to all the comments you left while I was on vacation. 🙁
In my defense, I was struggling to even keep in an upright position yesterday, I was a cranky biotch most of the night (you really don’t want responses from THAT side of Heather), and as soon as I got off work, I face-planted and didn’t wake up until NINE HOURS later! However, last night, I DID make it all the way back to last Friday’s post which reminds me…
I’m sorry for keeping this recipe from you for ohhhhhh,
FIVE MONTHS! 😳
In my defense,
the pictures got lost on my computer?… I forgot about it?… the dog ate it??…umm yeah, I’ve got nothin’!
I actually happened upon this little bit of magic by accident back in April. I got up one morning and started making some oats for breakfast…but not just ANY oats, I was making CHOCOLATE oats! Then I got wild and crazy and threw in some almond and coconut!
All of a sudden I wasn’t hungry(?!)
I realized that I’d gotten up and went straight to the kitchen without even realizing I wasn’t even ready for breakfast (#firstworldproblems) so instead, I popped my chocolate almond coconutty
oats amazingness in the fridge, threw on some workout clothes and ran drove to the gym.
A couple of hours later, I came home to a partially solidified
bowl blob of oats. Since I was still pretty sweaty from my workout, I decided what the heck, why not eat them cold? Plus, by that time I was STARVING! So I flipped my little chocolate blob of the bowl, topped it some yogurt, a few almonds, and toasted coconut, took a bite, annnnd?
Patted myself on the back for being such a flippin’ GENIUS!
Sorry I’m NOT sorry for my lack of modesty! Hey, we’re serving COOKIES here, not pie*!
*of the humble variety! 😉
Almond Joy Breakfast Cookie
Prep Time: 2-3 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes plus 1-2 hours chill time
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water (or milk or milk alternative)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- Preferred sweetener
- Optional toppings: Greek yogurt, almonds, coconut shreds (plain or toasted)
1. In a small pot over medium-high heat, combine oats, water (or milk), and almond extract and bring to a boil (3-4 minutes).
2. Reduce heat to medium, stir in cocoa powder and coconut flour and allow to cook until thickened (3-4 minutes).
3. Stop here and enjoy a warm bowl of Almond Joy oats OR transfer to a shallow bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or overnight) and enjoy as a breakfast COOKIE!
Oh and I just HAVE to share something else with you guys…
So what do you say…am I forgiven?