As promised in yesterday’s post, I have a delicious recipe for you guys today!
But first, allow me a brief soliloquy…
“To oat, or not to oat…that IS this morning’s question.
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to hear
The early grumblings and pains of indulgent oatmeal
Or to take eggs to the carbohydrates
And by whisking, create them.”
Shakespeare botchification brought to you by the endorphin rush after diving head first into this delicious bowl of oats.
If you’ve ever been leery of the whole egg white oats, let me tell you right now that I was once a skeptic myself. After a very, VERY bad judgement call involving egg whites, oats, and a microwave, I thought I was scarred for life.
Alas, mighty microwave…you do not serve me well. But thou art not the only appliance capable of preparing my breakfast.
“A stove! A stove! My kitchen for a stove!”
Super Simple Egg White Oatmeal
Prep Time: N/A
Cook Time: 6-7 minutes
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1/3-1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg whites, whisked
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon flavored extract (vanilla, almond, maple, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine oats and water in a small pot and heat to medium-high heat.
2. Once it comes to a boil (about 3-4 minutes), add the egg whites and whisk quickly until the egg starts to set.
3. Allow to cook another 3-4 minutes, whisking a couple of times to break up the egg whites.
4. Stir in cocoa (if using), extract, and spices.
5. Serve with fresh fruit and a good drizzle of your favorite nut butter!
Now, don’t let the cooking method steer away all you instant gratification breakfast eaters out there.
“Oh swear not by the box, the fickle box, the inconstant box that is guaranteed to give you lumpy bits and interesting (but not in a good way) air pockets in your bowl.”
You can have an ALL NATURAL, protein packed bowl of oats in just a few more minutes than it takes to microwave. The egg whites blend right in and create the lightest and fluffiest texture…no lumps, no bumps, no “what the heck?!” moments in this bowl.
No, in this case, the course of true love has never run smoother…
night’s morning’s dream! 😉