Happy Monday lovelies!
I hope you all had a fabulous weekend and a great start to the week.
I’m so excited about linking up with Katie and all my girls for my second MIMM post! A lot of great things happened this weekend and I can’t WAIT to share them with you!
Plus, how can you not love all the positive vibes from this link party?!
Mondays are no longer Munnnnnnndays!
This weekend started out as usual with my Saturday morning trip to the farmer’s market.
I was SO happy to see some zucchini…last week all the farmer’s were out and I was a little worried since I haven’t quite met my “zucchini quota” for the summer yet…probably one of my most favorite summer veggies! And heck yeah, for FINALLY picking up some corn…I haven’t had ANY this season and I’m really wanting to try it grilled!
After the market, I hit up the gym. I didn’t have a plan going in, but I have to say (especially since I’m STILL feeling it today) I did a pretty good job of kicking my own butt!
Here’s what it ended up looking like:
I did my pushups on my knees because I’m still a little girl , but daaaaaaaaaang, in less than an hour, I was totally SMOKED!
Oh yeah, Mr. Tricep is DEFINITELY growing!
And JUST when I thought the day couldn’t get any better, a little spontaneity proved otherwise…less than two hours later I was on a boat…with a hunk by my side!
Guess who’s FINALLY done traveling for work?!
I met up with BB and a friend of his at Kentucky Lake and the rest of the day looked like this:
One of the BEST salads I’ve ever made from a salad bar…that wasn’t Whole Foods!
Seriously, that corn muffin was unbelievable, and the tomato and barely salad at the top right? Omg, I HAVE to recreate that!
I may or may not have shed a tear after this pic was taken.
Seriously can it get any more MARVELOUS than that?!
Now, onto the MEATLESS part of this post!
I have been DYING to join in on Heather’s Meatless Monday celebration for weeks now but my biggest problem was my timing.
When I realized that this week’s featured food would be dates, I got a little more excited than is probably considered “normal” but who are we kidding? Me? Normal? Please!
I LOVE dates…the chewy consistency, the perfect amount of sweetness, and hey, stuffed with a little peanut butter, they make one of the BEST pre-workout snacks!
So I actually took THAT idea and put a little “spin” on it!
I’m sure you guys have seen those cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates appetizers that parade around Pinterest ever time a holiday rolls around…
But how about a VEGAN version?!
VEGAN Bacon-Wrapped Dates
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: bake appetizer snack vegan eggplant dates nut butter
Ingredients (6 dates)
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I used Bragg’s Liquid Aminos)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 medium-sized dates
- 2 tablespoons nut butter or vegan cream cheese
1. Slice eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Spread slices on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Allow salt to bring out the excess moisture in the eggplant for about 20 minutes, flipping and salting the other side halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, prepare your “bacon sauce” by combing soy sauce, water, maple syrup, liquid smoke, maple extract, and garlic in a small bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Blot the eggplant slices with a dry paper towel before dipping into the “bacon sauce” then set aside.
5. Cut a slit into each date and stuff each one with 1 teaspoon nut butter (crunchy peanut butter is my favorite) or vegan cream cheese.
6. Wrap/roll a slice of eggplant bacon around each date and secure with toothpicks.
7. Arrange on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes.
8. Serve warm or refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve cold.
The salty smoky flavor of the “bacon” combined with the natural sweetness of the dates is unbelievable…and if you are a big texture person like I am, the addition of crunchy peanut butter takes this little nibble to a whole new level of enjoyment!
Although I have to say the soft and smooth cream cheese was pretty rocking too!
But that’s where the fun comes in…and YOU get to decide!
Have you ever tried a date?
Share something MARVELOUS from your weekend!