Good morning loves and happy Pancake Sunday!
Since I started my “detoxing” after the holidays, I found myself in a bit of a pickle…ugh, that does NOT even sound good right now! Umm, errr…I had a bit of a DILEMMA this week.
And that dilemma (not to be confused with a pickle) was that I had absolutely…
I know, I know…a foodie who doesn’t want food…sad day!
All week long, I’ve basically been forcing myself to drink protein shakes and steering clear of any and ALL sugary sweets so when it came time to think up a new recipe for this week’s Pancake Sunday, I was at a complete and stomach turning loss.
Honesty, all I wanted was a green smoothie.
And then it hit me…
Green smoothie PANCAKES!
Now you can have your
cake smoothie and eat it too!
And what would a smoothie be without a bunch of fun, colorful, and accidentally festive toppings?
Post-Christmas Detox Pancakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Keywords: blender fry breakfast high fiber high protein no sugar added oats egg whites spinach bananas Pancake Sunday Christmas
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups, packed raw spinach
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 medium ripe banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a small blender or food processor, blend oats into flour.
3. Empty oat flour into a medium-sized bowl, add other dry ingredients and stir to mix.
4. Combine spinach, egg whites, banana, and vanilla in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until flour is incorporated.
6. Spoon batter into skillet forming 4 medium pancakes.
7. Cook 4-6 minutes per side or until the edges start to brown (batter will not bubble).
8. Transfer to a plate and top with yogurt, fresh fruit, and/or nuts.
Nutrition facts for pancakes only:
Good fats, healthy sugars, and an all-natural punch of protein!
And I promise you can’t taste the spinach…as long as you add the banana!
If the color skeeves you out a bit OR if you’re trying to pull one over on someone (not that we would EVER do such things around here), just add a tablespoon or two of cocoa and no one will ever know!
And of course don’t forget the toppings!
I chose Greek yogurt that I thinned with a little water, fresh red currants (new find at the grocery store this week), chopped pistachios, and a few bee pollen granules.
I couldn’t believe how perfectly sweet and almost buttery tasting these turned out and the warm cakes paired with the cool yogurt and the fresh “pop” of tart berries?
Seriously hit the spot!*
*the spot I didn’t even know I had after not having an appetite all week that is!
Just trust me…your body
needs DESERVES these pancakes!
What do ya say? Are you convinced?
Have you ever had red currants?
This was my first time trying them…tart kind of like cranberries and SO juicy!