Oh ma’ darlin…
Oh ma’ darrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlin Clementine!
You were lost all over summer…
Now it’s winter…
And your MINE! 😉
I don’t know about you guys, but once I spotted those little “cuties” in the produce section at the grocery store a few weeks ago, I haven’t been able to get enough!
It only makes since that I found a way to pop them into some pancakes, right?
So what goes well with citrus?
Chocolate CARROTS of course!
And you know what else goes well with citrus?
Extract, butter, slivered nuts…it’s ALL good!
But you wanna know the best part about these ‘cakes?
I made them gluten-free! 😀
Gluten-Free Clementine Carrot Pancakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Keywords: fry breakfast gluten-free grain-free buckwheat flour carrots clementines egg whites Pancake Sunday winter
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour, ground from groats
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Juice and zest from 2 large clementines (yields approx. 1/3 cup juice)
1. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, flax, baking powder and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until frothy.
4. To the egg, add grated carrot, juice and zest from clementines, extract(s) and sweetener, stir well.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until flour is incorporated.
6. Spoon batter onto skillet forming 3 small-medium pancakes and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until edges turn crisp and brown (batter will not bubble).
7. Plate and top with thinned yogurt, creamy almond butter, sliced almonds, and more zest.
Nutrition facts for pancakes without toppings:
Hello Mr. Beta Carotene!
These were by far the BEST carrot pancakes I’ve ever made!
moi-…NOT DRY in the least!
FULL of zingy citrus flavor!
And would you just look at how THICK they are?!
I’ve made them twice in TWO days and still can’t get enough!
Seriously, you need these in your life!
What’s your favorite winter fruit?
I love pomegranates but persimmons are my FAVORITE!