Just the other day, my co-worker was telling me about her venture to Publix and how much her little grandson was enjoying the trip.
After leaving the bakery, with a freshly baked sugar cookie, they headed over to the deli where they were able to sample some of the items on special that day. Her grandson took a slice of mozzarella cheese, wrapped it around his cookie, and continued right on munching.
If that’s not a contender for #strangebutgood, then
I don’t know what is!
Yep, when it comes to food, kids can be strange…they can also be pretty picky.
Unless of course, we’re talking peanut butter and jelly.
Raise your hand if you practically LIVED off this combo as a child. I remember one particular summer break where I had a PB&J for nearly every meal for a week straight!
But then, as my little childhood tastes evolved, I got to the point where all I ever wanted was chicken nuggets and I have a feeling I’m not alone. Whether it’s honey mustard, BBQ sauce, or sweet and sour sauce from a certain pair of golden arches, there’s just something about this dippable food that draws kids in.
Do you SEE where I’m going with this?
How about now?
But wait…it gets
better stranger! 😉
Oh yeah, I went there.
Crunchy peanut butter-coated nuggets with warm sticky jam dip…
Bring on the childhood nostalgia!
PB Chicken Nuggets with Jam Dip
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Keywords: bake entrée high protein kid-friendly peanut butter chicken
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (7-8 ounces, each)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup cereal, crushed (I used Kashi GoLean)
- 1/8 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1/8 cup peanut flour (optional)
- 1/4 cup of your favorite jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
3. Place chicken breasts on a clean, dry cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and pound to about 2 inch thickness using the heel of your palm or a small skillet.
4. Cut chicken into nugget-sized pieces (about 8 per breast) and set aside.
5. In a shallow bowl, combine egg whites, peanut butter, and honey and whisk until smooth.
6. In a separate shallow bowl combine crushed cereal, flour, and peanuts and stir to mix.
7. Dip each chicken nugget into the peanut butter mixture and then roll around in cereal mixture before placing on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Arrange pieces 2-3 inches apart and bake for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with a fork or knife.
9. Transfer immediately to a wire rack to cool.
10. Heat jam in a microwave-safe bowl for 15-20 seconds until thin, serve as a dip for nuggets.
Note: If you have an oven-safe wire rack, I recommend using that on top of the baking sheet…then there’s no need flip!
And if you have yourself one or two miniature humans around the house, how about enlisting their help in your build-a-nugget assembly line?
Dip. Coat. Repeat.
Just be sure to watch them closely so they don’t spread raw chicken germs all over themselves or your kitchen! 🙂
Nutritional info per 4 nugget serving:
Fun fact, this PB&J is protein-PACKED!
To complete the meal, serve it up with some FUN fresh veggies!
Sliced carrot + dollop of pb + half a peanut = CARROT FINGERS!
Like I said, I had a little too much fun with this! 😉
What food could you (or DID you) eat every day as a kid?