There’s not much out there that can surpass the comfort
of a forkful of warm apple pie.
Unless of course it’s a forkful of warm apple pie for BREAKFAST!
And, if you hold the same opinion as I do, you’ll agree that the best apple pie comes with…
streusel cereal topping! 😉
With the cold wintry weather in full force this week, I had no other choice but to look to some warm foods for comfort. These pancakes hit the spot like NO other, but it took a couple of tries to get it just right.
I started out basing it off the recipe for my beloved Ginger Pear Pancakes, but I made a few tweaks to make sure that these babies were extra tender, extra flaky, and extra MOIST (it had to be said) just like REAL apple pie…
NNNNNNN-ailed IT! 😀
Apple Pie Protein Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Keywords: fry breakfast high fiber high protein apple protein powder Pancake Sunday
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (30g scoop)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sodium-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional, but HIGHLY recommended)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 small apple, chopped and separated
1. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. To a medium-sized bowl, add flours, protein powder, baking powder, and spices and stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until frothy.
4. Add milk, applesauce, and extract to egg white and stir to combine.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until flour is incorporated.
6. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped apple.
7. Spoon batter onto skillet, form/spread 3 small-medium sized pancakes (batter will be thick), and cook 5-6 minutes per side or until edges start to crisp and turn brown.
8. Top with other half of apple, some chopped walnuts, a bit of maple syrup and your favorite “streusel” topping.
Nutrition facts for pancakes only using this protein powder:
How in the world could you walk away from that?!
Unless of course you’re a bit of a traditional and think I committed a cardinal sin, denying the pie it’s classic, quintessential topping…
Did someone say al a mode?
…al a Greek yog-ode?
…ala whipped cottage chee-ode?
Or maybe that was a la Arctic Zero-de with warm, golden
accolades apple-ades*? 😉
Whichever way you decide, just prepare yourself, because this is one tender, mouth-watering, stack of…
Warm and melty apple pie DELICIOUSNESS!
*For warm apple topping, combine chopped apples, 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice, and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Microwave for 1 minute or until apples are tender.
What is your favorite type of pie?
I do appreciate a fine apple pie, but my heart will always “pump” for pumpkin! 😉
What’s the last comfort food you indulged in?
I had some fried chicken (my first in YEARS), mashed potatoes, and collard greens from the Whole Food’s hot bar for dinner last night…YUM!