First off, I hope you were able to keep nice and warm this weekend. We had an unseasonably warm day yesterday (high of 72?!), but I missed most of it since I didn’t get to sleep until 6am (womp womp). I DID wake up just in time to be alerted to a tornado warning though! That’s Tennessee weather for ya! 😕
But you wanna know what else I woke up to? At least a half-dozen tweets from you guys on my Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili! Talk about starting the day off on a good foot…I was on cloud nine ALL
morning afternoon! Obviously, I’m not alone in my mission to sport a winter tan so I couldn’t keep you guys waiting ANY longer for this cornbread recipe…
Ahhh, THERE it is!
I seriously came up with this recipe on the spot. I already had the chili going in the crock pot just waiting for the man-friend to get off work and make his way over, but once he arrived, I realized we needed something more and well, what goes better with
pumpkin than MORE pumpkin chili than cornbread?!
My first thought was Davida’s recipe, but unfortunately if I didn’t get cornbread in my face in LESS than 30 minutes, Hangry Heather was going to
die be very unhappy! Enter frantic Googling and perhaps a little swearing sweating (hmm, a little Freudian slip perhaps? ;)). After running around in circles (figuratively of course), I decided to just wing it…and pray to the pumpkin gods that I didn’t end up with pumpkin flavored cardboard because well, it’s no secret that I’m not a baker!
Lucky for us BOTH, it was a WINNER on the first try!
Oh and before I could even ask him, the man-friend looks over at me and says, “Wow, I really like this cornbread…it’s perfectly sweet.” Then he went to the kitchen and got himself another slice! And in case you require another opinion, my girl Lucie is definitely a fan! 😀
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Cornbread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Keywords: bake side bread dairy-free vegetarian nut-free pumpkin puree cornmeal whole wheat flour fall
Ingredients (9 squares)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1. Preheat oven to 400°F degrees.
2. Coat an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir to break up any lumps.
4. In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk well.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
6. Transfer batter to baking dish, place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before slicing and serving or crumble it over a bowl of Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili!
And while it is FANTASTIC crumbled into a bowl of chili, it’s also great on its own, with a little butter, orrrrrrr warmed and crumbled into a bowl of cottage cheese with warm cinnamon apples…the breakfast I was pretty much OBSESSED with last week!
With peanuts on top of course, because you all know how I feel about
peanuts and pumpkin!
What is your favorite way to enjoy cornbread?
What’s the last thing that you baked?