Happy Sunday my loves!
I hope you are all having a fabulous weekend!
I told BB that I didn’t care what we did this weekend as long as it involved going done to the local strawberry farm and picking our own strawberries.
And well…my man aims to please 🙂
Even though it’s only a few miles from one of the busiest parts of town, you almost forget that the McCraw farm is still within the city limits…it was so quiet and peaceful! The perfect day for strawberry picking…warm sunshine, blue sky, and a nice breeze…and even better, it wasn’t crowded in the least!
Speaking of being adults, it just so happened that a little competition brewed up mid-picking for the most “mutated” berry…BB swore he was going to find one the shape of Texas.
Unfortunately, the only one he found more resembled a rhino, but I found a pretty cool looking sheep dog! 😉
And of course, what is the best part of berry picking?
Quality control testing! 🙂
So after a couple of handfuls to you know, check for poison, we realized our little
Easter berry basket was finally filled!
Can you believe we got all this for only $10.50?
It shouldn’t surprise you that when I got up this morning, my mind was reeling with ideas for pancakes!
Since I really wanted to capture the wonderfully sweet taste of the strawberries, I decided on a simple pancake recipe and then created a homemade strawberry syrup to top them with!
Whole Wheat Vegan Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 1)
For the Pancakes
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon raw sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Syrup
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon arrow root powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon raw sugar
For the Pancakes
1. Add apple cider vinegar to almond milk and allow to set 3-5 minutes (this is your “buttermilk”)
2. Combine flax and water, stir, and allow to set 3-5 minutes (this is your “egg”)
3. Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat and coat with coconut oil or other non-stick spray.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar.
5. Add flax “egg” to the buttermilk mixture along with the vanilla extract. Stir wet ingredients together and then add to flour mixture.
6. Stir batter just until flour is incorporated (batter will be thick)
7. Spoon batter into skillet forming 3 small-medium pancakes
8. Cook approximately 6-7 minutes or until golden brown on underside, then flip and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes until done.
For the Syrup
1. Set a small pot to medium-high heat
2. Add strawberries and water and allow to come to a boil.
3. Allow to cook for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Transfer strawberries to a blender or Magic Bullet (careful, it will be hot) and blend to puree`
5. Transfer mixture to a mesh strainer and push through to remove seeds.
Ok, so don’t be intimidated by the length of the recipe. I know it looks like a lot, but it’s really SUPER easy! I made these babies and had them on a plate in front of me in less than 30 minutes…and the syrup is seriously worth the extra effort!
And, if after you remove the seeds from the sauce, I urge you to use that time to do some quality control testing of your own!
I was seriously impressed with the thickness of these babies…it is not an easy feat to make fluffy pancakes without an egg, but I did it…
JUST FOR YOU!
And then I stuffed them with peanut butter…
JUST FOR ME!
Happy Pancake Sunday! 🙂
How have you been enjoying the recent arrival of strawberry season?
Have you ever been berry picking?