Happy New Year!!
I hope you all had a great time celebrating last night…or holding your eyelids open with toothpicks until midnight…whichever is your thing! I rang in the 2014 within the confines of lead-lined hospital walls, but fear NOT…no matter how many drunks made their way in, come dinnertime, I was partying it up with this delicious POWER-PACKED bowl!
Is it normal to dream about food? Because I seriously have not been able to get this salad out of my head for nearly TWO WEEKS!
It all started when the man-friend and I went to Istanbul Cafe for dinner and had the best frickin’ tabbouleh I’ve ever had in my life…along with the creamiest of hummi! 😉 I wasted NO time and hit up the international market on my way home that weekend to grab up a bunch of fresh parsley!
Then it was the week of Christmas and instead of staying home and making all my foodie dreams come true, I just HAD to join the crazed masses and get those last little gifts that I knew would spoil my family rotten.
Please, St. Nick, take note of my incredible selflessness! 😀
Can I just say it’s a GOOD thing parsley has a good
shelf fridge life?! Because it wasn’t until YESTERDAY afternoon that I was finally able to get my booty in the kitchen to make some magic happen!
What started in my head as quinoa tabbouleh inspired by Laura’s version back in August quickly transformed into a quinoa salad after MORE inspiration hit me from all the Christmas-colored salads I’ve been tossing up lately…
And I have to say I’m pretty darn proud of it!
Bursting with the light and fresh flavors of parsley, mint, and lemon with an incredible contrast of textures…
Smooth and creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber, juicy pomegranate…and with the last-minute idea to throw some chickpeas in there, this is one satisfying salad!
Dare I call it…SALACIOUS? 😉
Detox Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes plus chill time
Keywords: boil entrée salad side gluten-free dairy-free high-fiber high-protein sugar-free vegan vegetarian quinoa avocado pomegranates
Ingredients (Serves 4-6 as entrée, 8 as side)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (approximately 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cups water
- 1 15oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 medium-sized avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice from one lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a medium-sized sauce pan, bring 1 cup of water to boil over high heat.
2. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce to simmer.
3. Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
5. Once quinoa has cooled slightly, combine it with the chickpeas, avocado, cucumber, pomegranate, and herbs in a large bowl and stir well.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and lemon juice and then drizzle over salad.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
9. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
With the heavy eating of the holidays behind us, a big bowl of superfoods is the perfect way to get your new year off to a fresh and healthy start! So what are you waiting for? That parsley’s not gonna chop itself! 😉
What are THREE of your favorite superfoods?