Oh yeah, I’m STILL singing!
Though I think Sonny & Cher had it all wrong…
Because it’s really ALL about the beets!
They just can’t be BEAT! 😉
ESPECIALLY when paired with chocolate!
Remember that time where I started throwing beets into all of my breakfasts?
Well, I may gave you guys tips on how to turn my Blueberry Beet Pancakes into little red velvet ones, but since I was so enamored with parfaits and smoothies that week, I never actually got around to making them for myself…
But I’ll tell you, I learned quite a few things during this day-o-pancake-flippin’…
Beets are really pretty.
But they’re kinda messy.
And they bring back haunting memories of a certain ghoulish invasion. 😉
Cacao nibs are delicious and make for great snacking while taking 935,213 pictures of beets, chocolate, and pancakes.
Until one catches you in the roof of the mouth…then the munchin’ and crunchin’ comes to a screeching halt while you
curse the heavens continue with your never-ending photo session.
My tiny measuring is perfect for drizzling chocolate sauce…AND it’s super cute!
But shouldn’t be confused with the bowl of cacao nibs.
Because even after you wipe your hands off on
your yoga pants a towel, there will still be evidence of your momentary lapse of attention…
But in the end, it’s totally worth the flashbacks, nib laceration, and chocolate finger painting…
Because these babies are flippin’ AWESOME!
Red Velvet Protein Pancakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Keywords: fry breakfast high protein beets cocoa Pancake Sunday
Ingredients (Serves 1)
Red Velvet Pancakes
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut flour (or ground flax, though the consistency will be a bit different)
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (30g scoop)
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sodium-free baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup raw, grated beets
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-7 drops chocolate (or vanilla) stevia
- 2 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3-5 drops stevia or other preferred sweetener
Red Velvet Pancakes
1. Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine grated beets, egg white, almond milk, vanilla extract, and stevia in a small blender and process for 4-5 seconds (longer if you don’t want to see little flecks of beet).
3. In a bowl, combine flours, protein powder, cocoa, and baking powder and stir with a wire whisk to break up any lumps.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until flour is incorporated.
5. Spoon batter onto skillet surface forming 3 medium-sized pancakes and cook 5-6 minutes per side or until edges start to crisp (batter will not bubble).
6. Plate and layer with Greek yogurt, cocoa drizzle, and cacao nibs (or chocolate chips).
1. Combine all ingredients and stir until smooth.
And HELLO fiber…we meet again! 😀
Soft and fluffy velllllllvety cakes layered with sweet Greek yogurt and covered in chocolate?
The only question that remains is why are you still reading this?
Go make these CAKES!
Just do me a favor and sing while you make them! 😉
What song can you not get enough of right now?
Are you a messy/absent-minded/easily distracted cook like me?
Please tell me my kitchen isn’t the only one that looks like a bomb went off in it after I finish preparing a meal!