You guys are AMAZING! Looks like I’m not the only one out there who is obsessed with the Quest! 😉 Seriously! I mean, I was impressed by Monday’s turnout, but with almost NINE HUNDRED entries for the latest in the Broccoli Birthday Bonanza, this one totally takes the cake!
Hmmm, speaking of cake…
I bet you all thought this was some sort of stock photo, didn’t you?
Truth be told, I’ve been holding out on you.
While experimenting with my Chocolate Glazed Kabocha Donuts, I couldn’t help but get a little festive knowing that big birthday celebrations would be happening this week…sooo I made
a cake mini cakes…filled with sugar protein and spice and EVERYTHING nice!
Ta DAAAAAAAAAA! 😀
Mini Kabocha Cakes with Chocolate Yogurt “Frosting”
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert breakfast snack high protein vegetarian nut-free cake fall winter
Ingredients (Makes 6 cakes)
For the Cakes
- 1 cup pre-roasted kabocha squash, cubed (150g)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oat flour, ground from rolled oats
- 1 scoop Vega One protein powder, vanilla chai flavor
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon NuNaturals tagatose (or preferred sweetener that measures like sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
For the “Frosting”
- 1 cup (~1 1/2 containers) Yoplait Blended Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2-3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sprinkles for topping (not optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Coat the inside of 6 small oven-safe ramekins (or a large muffin pan) with cooking spray (or coconut oil) and set aside.
3. In a small blender or food processor, blend squash and water until creamy.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, protein powder, baking powder, salt, tagatose, and spices and stir with a wire whisk to break up any lumps.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the squash mixture, eggs, and vanilla.
6. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
7. Separate batter evenly into prepared ramekins (or muffin pan) and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Prepare chocolate yogurt “frosting” my whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl until creamy.
10. Transfer “frosting” to a zip-top bag, squeeze out any air and seal the top.
11. Snip off a corner from the end of the bag and squeeze “frosting” onto completely cooled cakes in a circular motion then top with your favorite colored sprinkles!
12. Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Note: You guys know I’m in NO WAY a baker…sometimes I just get lucky! Protein powders can be really tricky when baking so while the one I used worked perfectly in these cakes, I knew I couldn’t make any guarantees with other brands/sources. Instead of spending a week experimenting with various powders, in the end, I just opted to omit it altogether. But after getting the man-friend’s approval on these cakes, I just couldn’t keep the recipe to myself! So, if you have a little baking know-how and care to experiment, please feel free…and then come back here and tell me all your secrets! And for my fellow non-bakers, there’s always the original donut recipe.
But let’s talk more about that frosting, eh?
I’ve never been a fan of traditional cake frosting. It’s always much too sugary for my tastes and really, I’d rather just have the cake underneath, BUT with this Greek yogurt “frosting”, I couldn’t get enough! And since it’s low in sugar, I had absolutely no problem justifying having this cake for breakfast! It’s creamy, cool, and perfectly sweet! But you know what makes it taste even better??
When it’s FREE!!! 😀
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. I reached out to this company on my own for the sake of the blog birthday celebration week. While I have been given free product from the company in the past, all statements expressed above are of my personal opinion and I was not paid for this post.
Giveaway will run until Sunday at midnight (CST)
Due to regulations with customs, this giveaway is only available to US residents, but since tomorrow is MY BIRTHDAY, I hope everyone around the world will indulge me a bit and watch this…
Look! It’s me! On
TV YouTube!!! 😉